SQL Server 2019 is designed to solve challenges of the modern data professional including:
- Store enterprise data in a data lake and offer SQL and Spark query capability overall data
- Reduce the need for Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) applications by eliminating data movement
- Integrate and secure machine learning applications with scalable performance
- Reduce the need for application and query changes to gain a boost in performance
- Increase confidential computing of data through hardware enclaves
- Increase application and database uptime and availability through features like ADR (Advanced Database Recovery)
- Extend the power of the T-SQL language in a secure and robust fashion
- Run applications and deploy databases across multiple operating systems and platforms with compatibility
- Reduce the risk of upgrades while using new SQL capabilities when you are ready though inbuilt database compatibility levels
Unified data platform
Enterprises today use multiple data platforms to meet their business needs. This ranges from operational databases, to data-marts, and to Big Data platforms. These platforms have different security models and tools ecosystems, which often require different skill sets and domain expertise. SQL Server 2019 offers all these capabilities as a unified data platform.
Customers can choose to deploy SQL Server in a traditional pattern. SQL Server 2019 also supports big data cluster deployment that comes with additional capabilities of big data, data virtualization, data-mart and enterprise data lake.